If you are looking for a delicious and tasty banana wine recipe you have come to the right place. Banana wine has a long tradition and cultural significance in East Africa. Banana wine is certainly interesting, if not pleasant. It makes an excellent dessert wine and pairs well with ice cream and peach desserts. It has flavors that are similar to other tropical fruits with that hint of banana flavoring. Banana wine is mostly produced at a small scale level, making it great for the home winemaker. Check out our banana wine recipe below.
Banana Wine Recipe
Ingredients for 5 gallons of our banana wine recipe:
- 15 pounds (6.8 kg) bananas (overripe)
- Water enough to make 5 gallons (19 L)
- 1¼ teaspoons (3.4 g) grape tannin
- 12½ pounds (5.7 kg) sugar
- 5 teaspoons (25.5 g) acid blend
- 1¼ pounds (0.6 kg) raisins
- 1¼ teaspoons (5.6 g) yeast nutrient
- 1 yeast package (5 g) Wyeast Mead (Sweet) yeast
Instructions for our banana wine recipe:
- Sanitize all equipment.
- Peel and dice the bananas.
- Put the bananas in a pot with 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the boiled bananas (cheesecloth is best) into the fermentation container, then add the tannin, sugar, acid blend, and raisins, and enough Water to make 5 gallons (19 L).
- Stir the contents of the fermentation container and let cool.
- When the juice is cooled to about 70°F (21 °C), add the yeast nutrient and the yeast. Cover the container and let ferment for 5 to 7 days.
- When the specific gravity reaches 1.000 or lower, rack the wine into a 5-gallon (19 L) carboy. Top up with enough water to fill to the rubber bung and air lock.
- Rack again when the wine is clear and adjust sweetness.
- Bottle the wine and let it sit for 6 months, then taste it. It will be ready for consumption between 6 months and a year.
Find this banana wine recipe and more in: The Home Winemaker’s Companion: Secrets, Recipes, and Know-How for Making 115 Great-Tasting Wines Raise a glass of homemade burgundy and enjoy the fruits of your labor. This informative guide provides an overview of the entire home winemaking process, from the vine (or the boxed kit) to your glass. With more than 100 recipes for a wide range of delicious wines, ports, and champagnes, you’re sure to find a wine to suit your taste. Clear diagrams for setting up your equipment and fail-safe instructions ensure that your home winemaking will be a success.
More Wine Recipe Books
Like the recipe above? Here are some other great wine recipe resource.