There is nothing like awakening your tastebuds with the delicious and ripe taste of fresh blackberries. Blackberry wine is a favorite among fruit wine drinkers and there is a good reason for that. Most blackberry wines are sweeter than the dry grape wines many people drink. Usually, blackberry wine pairs well as a dessert wine with cheesecake or chocolate. There is nothing better to do with your fresh blackberries than to ferment them. We’ve included a blackberry wine recipe that is to die for. It’s sweet and smooth with vibrant fruitiness. You can almost taste the sun in these succulent berries. Check out our blackberry wine recipe below. Read more about how to make wine at home.
Blackberry Wine Recipe
Ingredients for our Blackberry wine recipe:
- 30 pounds (13.6 kg) fresh blackberries
- 2 pounds (0.9 kg) raisins
- 11 pounds (5 kg) sugar
- Water enough to make 5 gallons (19 L)
- 5 pounds (2.3 kg) bananas (overripe)
- 1¼ teaspoons (3.4 g) grape tannin
- 5 teaspoons (25.5 g) acid blend
- 10 drops (0.5 mL) pectic enzyme
- 1¼ teaspoons (5.6 g) yeast nutrient
- 1 package (5 g) Wyeast Mead (Sweet) yeast
Direction for the blackberry wine recipe:
- Sanitize all equipment.
- Smash the blackberries, mince the raisins, and add the sugar and put into the fermentation container.
- Boil 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water and pour over the fruit and sugar. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Dice the bananas and simmer in a quart of water for 20 minutes. Strain the banana mixture and add it to the container with the fruit, sugar, and water.
- When the juice cools to 70°F (21°C), add the grape tannin, acid blend, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, yeast, and enough water to make 5 gallons (19 L).
- Stir the mixture daily for about 7 days. When the specific gravity reaches 1.000, rack into a sanitized 5-gallon (19 L) glass carboy.
- Rack again in 90 days and top up with water.
- Let sit for 8 months to a year. Then taste, sweeten, and bottle
- Taste in 6 months.
Finds this blackberry wine recipe and more in: The Home Winemaker’s Companion: Secrets, Recipes, and Know-How for Making 115 Great-Tasting Wines Raise a glass of homemade burgundy and enjoy the fruits of your labor. This informative guide provides an overview of the entire home winemaking process, from the vine (or the boxed kit) to your glass. With more than 100 recipes for a wide range of delicious wines, ports, and champagnes, you’re sure to find a wine to suit your taste. Clear diagrams for setting up your equipment and fail-safe instructions ensure that your home winemaking will be a success.
More Wine Recipe Books
Like the recipe above? Here are some other great wine recipe resource.