Try our rhubarb wine recipe today and make some unique wine at home. This wine can be very pleasant if made correctly. It usually pairs well with thai food, anything with curry, or cajun spices. It also goes very well with cheeses such as blue cheese. Try this wine on the rocks or mix it as a spritzer. Check out the rhubarb wine recipe below.
Rhubarb Wine Recipe
Ingredients for our rhubarb wine recipe:
- 15 pounds (6.8 kg) fresh rhubarb
- 11 pounds (5 kg) sugar
- 1 pound (0.5 kg) raisins
- 5 teaspoons (23 g) yeast nutrient
- 10 drops (0.5 mL) pectic enzyme liquid
- 1¼ teaspoons (3.4 g) grape tannin
- 1 pound (0.5 kg) light honey
- 5 Campden tablets or ½ teaspoon (3.1 g) potassium metabisulfite powder
- Water enough to make 5 gallons (19 L)
- 1 package (5 g) Wyeast Mead (Sweet) yeast
Instructions for our rhubarb wine recipe:
- Sanitize all equipment.
- Wash the rhubarb stalks and dice into tiny pieces. Put the rhubarb into the primary fermentor.
- Pour the sugar over the rhubarb, cover the container, and let stand for 1 day.
- Add the raisins, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, grape tannin, honey, the 5 Campden tablets (crushed) or ½ teaspoon (3.1 g) of potassium metabisulfite powder, and enough warm water to make 5 gallons (19 L), then sprinkle the yeast into the container.
- Let the ingredients ferment for 2 days. Strain out the juice from the pulp, removing as much juice as possible. Let the liquid sit for 3 or 4 days, then siphon the wine into a sanitized 5-gallon (19 L) glass carboy. Attach the fermentation lock.
- Rack again in a month and top off with water.
- Rack again in 3 months. When the wine is clear, bottle it.
- Taste in 6 months.
Find this rhubarb wine recipe and more in: The Home Winemaker’s Companion: Secrets, Recipes, and Know-How for Making 115 Great-Tasting Wines Raise a glass of homemade burgundy and enjoy the fruits of your labor. This informative guide provides an overview of the entire home winemaking process, from the vine (or the boxed kit) to your glass. With more than 100 recipes for a wide range of delicious wines, ports, and champagnes, you’re sure to find a wine to suit your taste. Clear diagrams for setting up your equipment and fail-safe instructions ensure that your home winemaking will be a success.
More Wine Recipe Books
Like the recipe above? Here are some other great wine recipe resource.